Saturday, April 07, 2012

The Art of The Breach

Covers are important. They make the difference between someone clicking on your book for download and someone scrolling onto the next title. Looking at artwork for the ebook of The Ravening, for instance, it is too easy to do the traditional zombie cover. I was happy with the original trade cover, but now the look feels overworked. You've seen it: a close up of a dead person's face, usually just the eyes or half the face, and behind it, the shadows of a horde in waiting. Creepy as hell when we first saw the trope emerge in the artwork for Romero's Dawn of the Dead--now just tired.

Thankfully, Christine Purcell and I have a cover being developed which won't be the usual slick image for urban fantasy and steampunk. Instead the artist Senyphine has crafted something dark and expressive. I won't show it to you now, you'll have to wait a little for the reveal, but if you want a sense of what The Breach is going to look like, check out her amazing online gallery. I think my favorite is what she did for The Raven.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely, although I begrudge the fact that covers are important.

Kate Sterling said...

I just checked her site - great stuff. Looking forward to seeing your new cover.